Terms of Service
The following terms and conditions govern all use of the LocalU.org website and all content, services and products available at or through the website, including, but not limited to, the forums (“Forums”) and the publicly accessible content available on the site, (taken together, the Website). The Website is owned and operated by Local U Marketing Seminars, LLC. (“Local U”). The Website is offered subject to your acceptance without modification of all of the terms and conditions contained herein and all other operating rules, policies and procedures that may be published from time to time on this Site by Local U (collectively, the “Agreement”).
Please read this Agreement carefully before accessing or using the Website. By accessing or using any part of the web site, you agree to become bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement. If you do not agree to all the terms and conditions of this agreement, then you may not access the Website or use any services. If these terms and conditions are considered an offer by Local U, acceptance is expressly limited to these terms. The Website is available only to individuals who are at least 13 years old.
- Your LocalU.org Account and Site. If you create an account on the Website, you are responsible for maintaining the security of your account and all content posted under your account, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under the account and any other actions taken in connection with the account. You must not describe or assign keywords to your content in a misleading or unlawful manner, including in a manner intended to trade on the name or reputation of others, and Local U may change or remove any description or keyword that it considers inappropriate or unlawful, or otherwise likely to cause Local U liability. You must immediately notify Local U of any unauthorized uses of your account, or any other breaches of security. Local U will not be liable for any acts or omissions by You, including any damages of any kind incurred as a result of such acts or omissions.
- Responsibility of Contributors. If you operate a Forum thread, comment on a thread, post material to the Website, post links on the Website, or otherwise make (or allow any third party to make) material available by means of the Website (any such material, “Content”), You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content. That is the case regardless of whether the Content in question constitutes text, graphics, an audio file, or computer software. By making Content available, you represent and warrant that:
- the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights, of any third party;
- if your employer has rights to intellectual property you create, you have either (i) received permission from your employer to post or make available the Content, including but not limited to any software, or (ii) secured from your employer a waiver as to all rights in or to the Content;
- you have fully complied with any third-party licenses relating to the Content, and have done all things necessary to successfully pass through to end users any required terms;
- the Content does not contain or install any viruses, worms, malware, Trojan horses or other harmful or destructive content;
- the Content is not spam, is not machine- or randomly-generated, and does not contain unethical or unwanted commercial content designed to drive traffic to third party sites or boost the search engine rankings of third party sites, or to further unlawful acts (such as phishing) or mislead recipients as to the source of the material (such as spoofing);
- the Content is not pornographic, does not contain threats or incite violence, and does not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party;
- your Content or account is not getting advertised via unwanted electronic messages such as spam links on newsgroups, email lists, other blogs and web sites, and similar unsolicited promotional methods;
- your Content or account is not named in a manner that misleads your readers into thinking that you are another person or company.
- you have, in the case of Content that includes computer code, accurately categorized and/or described the type, nature, uses and effects of the materials, whether requested to do so by Local U or otherwise.
By submitting Content to Local U for inclusion on the Forums or via a comment or post on the Website, you grant Local U a world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing and promoting your Content. If you delete Content, Local U will use reasonable efforts to remove it from the Website, but you acknowledge that caching or references to the Content may not be made immediately unavailable.
Without limiting any of those representations or warranties, Local U has the right (though not the obligation) to, in Local U’s sole discretion (i) refuse or remove any content that, in Local U’s reasonable opinion, violates any Local U policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable, or (ii) terminate or deny access to and use of the Website to any individual or entity for any reason, in Local U’s sole discretion. Local U will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid.
- Forum Etiquette
In addition to the foregoing, you agree to behave in the Forums according to the following guidelines.Do not:
- Share your account. Forum accounts are intended for use by one and only one person.
- Flame or insult other members.
- Use excessive profanity.
- Abuse or encourage abuse of private messages
- Post personally identifiable information (i.e. name, address, email, phone number, etc.)
- Derail a thread.
- Post spam
- Openly argue with a moderator. Contact the moderator via a private message.
- Publicly post or otherwise share private messages with other users unless you have the expressed permission of the sender to do so.
- Publicly post any Local U copyrighted materials, including but not limited to handouts, fact sheets, or videos, to any third-party website.
- The following topics are strictly off limits, including in external links:
- Threats of violence or harassment, even as a joke
- Posting copyrighted material such as magazine scans
- Soliciting, begging, auctioning, selling, advertising, referrals
- Racism, discrimination
- Religious, political, and other threads unrelated to online marketing
- Should you observe a fellow forum member breaking these rules please report the post by contacting any of the Forum Staff. The Forum is intended as a place to discuss online marketing and not as a substitute for private consultation. Moderators shall research and respond to threads at their sole discretion. Specific, detailed questions related to individual websites, locations, or other content or activities may not receive a response.Users who are repeatedly found to violate any of the above guidelines will be removed from the forums.
- Payment and Renewal.General Terms.Optional paid services such as subscription access to the Forums are available (any such services, an “Upgrade”). By selecting an Upgrade you agree to pay Local U the monthly or annual subscription fees indicated for that service. Payments will be charged on a pre-pay basis on the day you sign up for an Upgrade and will cover the use of that service for a monthly or annual subscription period as indicated. Upgrade fees are not refundable.Automatic Renewal.Unless you notify Local U before the end of the applicable subscription period that you want to cancel an Upgrade, your Upgrade subscription will automatically renew and you authorize us to collect the then-applicable annual or monthly subscription fee for such Upgrade (as well as any taxes) using any credit card or other payment mechanism we or our payment processors, including but not limited to PayPal, have on record for you. Upgrades can be canceled at any time in your PayPal account._
- Responsibility of Website Visitors. Local U has not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, posted to the Website, and cannot therefore be responsible for that material’s content, use or effects. By operating the Website, Local U does not represent or imply that it endorses the material there posted, or that it believes such material to be accurate, useful or non-harmful. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. The Website may contain content that is offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable, as well as content containing technical inaccuracies, typographical mistakes, and other errors. The Website may also contain material that violates the privacy or publicity rights, or infringes the intellectual property and other proprietary rights, of third parties, or the downloading, copying or use of which is subject to additional terms and conditions, stated or unstated. Local U disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from the use by visitors of the Website, or from any downloading by those visitors of content there posted.
- Content Posted on Other Websites. We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, made available through the websites and webpages to which LocalU.org links, and that link to LocalU.org. Local U does not have any control over those non-Local U websites and webpages, and is not responsible for their contents or their use. By linking to a non-Local U website or webpage, Local U does not represent or imply that it endorses such website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. Local U disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of non-Local U websites and webpages.
- Copyright Infringement. As Local U asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by LocalU.org violates your copyright, you are encouraged to notify Local U. Local U will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. Local U will terminate a visitor’s access to and use of the Website if, under appropriate circumstances, the visitor is determined to be a repeat infringer of the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of Local U or others. In the case of such termination, Local U will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid to Local U.
- Intellectual Property. This Agreement does not transfer from Local U to you any Local U or third party intellectual property, and all right, title and interest in and to such property will remain (as between the parties) solely with Local U. Local U, LocalU.org, the Local U logo, and all other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with LocalU.org, or the Website are trademarks or registered trademarks of Local U or Local U’s licensors. Other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with the Website may be the trademarks of other third parties. Your use of the Website grants you no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any Local U or third-party trademarks.
- Advertisements. Local U reserves the right to display advertisements on the Website.
- Changes. Local U reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify or replace any part of this Agreement. It is your responsibility to check this Agreement periodically for changes. Your continued use of or access to the Website following the posting of any changes to this Agreement constitutes acceptance of those changes. Local U may also, in the future, offer new services and/or features through the Website (including, the release of new tools and resources). Such new features and/or services shall be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
- Termination. Local U may terminate your access to all or any part of the Website at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately. If you wish to terminate this Agreement or your LocalU.org account (if you have one), you may simply discontinue using the Website. All provisions of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.
- Disclaimer of Warranties. The Website is provided “as is”. Local U and its suppliers and licensors hereby disclaim all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Neither Local U nor its suppliers and licensors, makes any warranty that the Website will be error free or that access thereto will be continuous or uninterrupted. You understand that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, the Website at your own discretion and risk.
- Limitation of Liability. In no event will Local U, or its suppliers or licensors, be liable with respect to any subject matter of this agreement under any contract, negligence, strict liability or other legal or equitable theory for: (i) any special, incidental or consequential damages; (ii) the cost of procurement for substitute products or services; (iii) for interruption of use or loss or corruption of data; or (iv) for any amounts that exceed the fees paid by you to Local U under this agreement during the twelve (12) month period prior to the cause of action. Local U shall have no liability for any failure or delay due to matters beyond their reasonable control. The foregoing shall not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.
- General Representation and Warranty. You represent and warrant that (i) your use of the Website will be in strict accordance with the Local U Policy, with this Agreement and with all applicable laws and regulations (including without limitation any local laws or regulations in your country, state, city, or other governmental area, regarding online conduct and acceptable content, and including all applicable laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from the United States or the country in which you reside) and (ii) your use of the Website will not infringe or misappropriate the intellectual property rights of any third party.
- Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Local U, its contractors, and its licensors, and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of the Website, including but not limited to your violation of this Agreement.
- Miscellaneous. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between Local U and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of Local U, or by the posting by Local U of a revised version. Except to the extent applicable law, if any, provides otherwise, this Agreement, any access to or use of the Website will be governed by the laws of the state of New York, U.S.A., excluding its conflict of law provisions, and the proper venue for any disputes arising out of or relating to any of the same will be the state and federal courts located in the district in which New York is located. Except for claims for injunctive or equitable relief or claims regarding intellectual property rights (which may be brought in any competent court without the posting of a bond), any dispute arising under this Agreement shall be finally settled in accordance with the Comprehensive Arbitration Rules of the Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Service, Inc. (“JAMS”) by three arbitrators appointed in accordance with such Rules. The arbitration shall take place in Buffalo, New York, in the English language and the arbitral decision may be enforced in any court. The prevailing party in any action or proceeding to enforce this Agreement shall be entitled to costs and attorneys’ fees. If any part of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, that part will be construed to reflect the parties’ original intent, and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect. A waiver by either party of any term or condition of this Agreement or any breach thereof, in any one instance, will not waive such term or condition or any subsequent breach thereof. You may assign your rights under this Agreement to any party that consents to, and agrees to be bound by, its terms and conditions; Local U may assign its rights under this Agreement without condition. This Agreement will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.
January 14, 2014
adapted from Automattic under sharealike license
Video: Last Week in Local for the Week Ending June 14, 2021
Carrie, Mary, and Mike discuss Google’s Small Business Advisors, the FTC’s resolution with MoviePass, Rating Pins on Maps, Relations in GMB and much more! Last Week in Local is a look back at the interesting and important articles from the previous week. It covers critical industry trends, interesting local…Listen
Video: Last Week in Local for Week Ending June 7, 2021
Join Mary Bowling, Mike Blumenthal, and special guest Jason Barnard as they discuss the weeks’ news in local search & SEO Then hop over and watch their discussion about obtaining a Personal Brand Panel, with tactics and strategy. Last Week in Local is a look back at the interesting…Listen
Video: Last Week in Local for the Week Ending June 1, 2021
Mary, Mike & Carrie discuss the last week’s local search & SEO news. Info & news from Google Marketing Live, Amazon’s Sidewalk “opt-out”, Scholarship linkbuilding & more. Last Week in Local is a look back at the interesting and important articles from the previous week. It covers critical industry trends,…Listen
Video: Last Week in Local for Week Ending May 24, 2021
Today Mike, Mary & Carrie discuss Google I/O, Tess Voecks’ Freelancer Management Dashboard, The Shopping Graph, Keywords that Clients Actually Use, and much more! It’s a holiday in Canada, Happy Victoria Day to my co-workers – so you’re treated to the not even novice video editing skills of Carrie this…Listen
Video: Last Week in Local for Week Ending May 17, 2021
Today Mike, Mary & Carrie discuss the return of the 10-pack, google’s technical SEO discovery chops, common service area business GMB mistakes, great service business optimization tactics, and more. Last Week in Local is a look back at the interesting and important articles from the previous week. It covers critical…Listen
Video: Last Week in Local for Week Ending May 10, 2021
Happy 151st Episode – Last Week in Local Viewers & Readers! Join Mike & Carrie as they discuss FTC’s findings on companies that limit who can work on their equipment, how keyword stuffing in GMB has real-world implications, and bugs from BrightLocal’s Rank Flux tool and Google’s LSA Bidding SFAFU….Listen