There has a been a lot of talk lately about the importance of images for SEO value. Andy Simpson shared an extremely insightful video that shows a tool that I have not heard discussed much previously.
How to Use the Tool:
- Go to https://cloud.google.com/vision/ and scroll down the page to where it says “try the API”
- When you upload an image, the web tab will list the entities that Google currently associates the image with:
- If you scroll down on the web tab, it will also sometimes list the links where that image can be found around the web:
- The tool shows that Google can often understand popular logos:
- The “text” tab shows us that despite what you may have heard, Google apparently can read text in images. In this image I uploaded of a review I wrote, Google could read the entire thing, even with a small font:
- The entities that Google associates these images with include local businesses. In the example below, the law firms listed had this image present on their website:
I’m sure we’ve only tapped the surface of what this tool can show you. What other uses have you found it has? Tell us in the comments or join the discussion on the Local Search Forum.
- Google Now Shows Older Posts in the Knowledge Panel - January 20, 2021
- Google Adds Google Guaranteed Badges to Google Maps - November 18, 2020
- Hijacked Google My Business Listings On The Rise - November 6, 2020