Updated March 27, 2020
Things with Google My Business (GMB) are changing so quickly it is hard to keep up with what is going on so I wanted to create a list of things that are different than normal currently.
- There are many reports on the GMB forum about businesses not able to add descriptions.
- There are many reports on the GMB forum about businesses having Posts rejected that don’t have violations in them.
- There are reports of businesses being marked temporarily closed that did not request it. The solution here would be to un-mark the listing as closed in the GMB dashboard but if it doesn’t publish right away, contact GMB support.
- Google has shut off the ability for businesses to receive new reviews. This includes reviews left via Local Services ad listings. If a user goes to leave a review, it appears to work as normal but the review doesn’t show up anywhere. This started on Friday, March 20, 2020. I strongly recommend not asking for reviews until Google switches this back. You’ll see Magic Kingdom, with over 150,000 reviews has not received a new review in the last 3 days. They normally get tons every day.
- The Questions and Answers section on Google has been completely removed from listings.
- Photos that are added by users to a business listing are not showing live.
- Review responses posted by the business owner are not publishing.
- Most edits made in the GMB dashboard are pending. Things outside of hours, attributes, and business descriptions are not being prioritized.
- GMB phone support and chat support no longer work. The only way to contact GMB is to send an email.
- Google Posts have been temporarily permitted for chains.
Anything else you’re noticing that is different than normal? Tell us in the comments or discuss with us here at the Local Search Forum.
For those that subscribe to our training, I have also added a list there and will be keeping it updated.